GENERAL INFORMATION ON GALAS
Information for Newcomers to Gala Swimming
If you are a parent or swimmer who is a newcomer to the club, you may have many questions especially about competitive swimming in galas. Try clicking on some of the links below for some useful information and hopefully some answers to your questions.
Do also ask your squad coach or squad rep for advice.
Useful for converting between short course (25m pool) and long course (50m) times
Really useful to:
- Check your ASA Membership
- View your Biographical Data (ie Best times)
- View Rankings Information
- View Licensed Gala Results
- Use the generic gala entry form for all galas except internal club galas
- Entry forms must be completed with entry times and ASA registration number. Entry fees must be included.
- If you have not got any recorded times for the events you are entering ask your squad coach for an estimate or speak to Carol Bottomley (DASC Competition Sec & A3 squad coach).
- If you are quite new into the club you may not yet have received an ASA registration card which has the ASA registration number on it.
ASA Registration for Competitive Swimmers
- You need to be registered at ASA Category 2 (competing swimmer) by the time you compete in a licensed gala (all galas except Diddy League galas and internal club galas).
- You can upgrade your ASA registration at any time during the year by completing a yellow ASA registration form and paying the upgrade fee.
- See Jane Teague for a form and more information.
Keeping Records of Gala Times
It is very important that you keep an up-to-date record of your swimmer's Personal Best times and details of the date and gala where they happened. This will help you to judge which future galas are appropriate for your swimmer to enter and enable you to complete the gala entry forms more easily.
If you haven't set up your own system for recording your times from galas, then you might find it helpful to buy one of our new Record Books to help you make a start. They are on sale at the Club Shop. Alternatively start one in a notebook or spreadsheet.
If you are missing some gala times, then have a look at the Gala Reports and Results, Main Club Galas and Swimming Archive pages of this website and/or the British Swimming Results website.
You can also buy sprint awards (gold, silver and bronze awards).